Tourists are always vulnerable to crime everywhere consequently tourist safety is important to me in St. Lucia. I have listed a few safety measures that I think will help with your safety while you visit St. Lucia. This list is simply to serve as a reminder that you should remain vigilant while on vacation in St. Lucia. Our basic tourist safety information deals with street behavior, precautions you should take at your hotel, hospital information, St. Lucia Police Department and St. Lucia Fire Department emergency numbers and information about three major embassies.
Street Safety Tips for Tourists St. Lucia
- Make a note of emergency telephone numbers you may need: police, fire, your hotel, and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Don’t use short cuts, narrow alleys or poorly lit streets.
- Do not to travel alone at night.
- Avoid public demonstrations and other civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile and avoid loud conversations or arguments.
- Do not discuss travel plans or other personal matters with strangers.
- If you are confronted, don’t fight back – give up your valuables.
- Do not accept food or drink from strangers.
- Refrain from carrying a lot of cash and do not flash money in public.
Hotel Safety Tips for Tourists in St. Lucia
- Keep your hotel door locked at all times.
- Meet visitors in the lobby.
- Do not leave money and other valuables in your hotel room while you are out. Use the hotel safe.
- If you are out late at night, let someone know when you expect to return.
- Read the fire safety instructions in your hotel room.
- Know how to report a fire, and be sure you know where the nearest fire exits and alternate exits are located.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Change your travelers’ checks only as you need money.
- Countersign travelers’ checks only in front of the person who will cash them.
- Do not flash large amounts of money when paying a bill.
- Make sure your credit card is returned to you after each transaction.
- Deal only with authorized agents when you exchange money, buy airline tickets or purchase souvenirs.
- Do not change money on the black market.
Emergency Telephone Numbers for Tourists Safety in St. Lucia
Police, Fire, Ambulance and Medical: 911
Police Headquarters, Castries: 1 (758) 452-2854
Police Rapid Response Unit: 1 (758) 452-2854 ext. 167
St. Lucia Hospitals
Victoria Hospital: 1 (758) 452-2421/7059
St. Jude’s Vieux Fort: 1 (758) 454-6041
Soufriere: 1 (758) 459-7258/5001
Dennery: 1 (758) 453-3310
Tapion Hospital (Private): 1 (758) 459-2000
US Embassy in Barbados
Wildey Business Park
St. Michael, Barbados 14006
1 (246) 227-4000
Consular Section (Questions): 1 (246) 227-4399
US Overseas Citizens Service: 1 (202) 501-4444
British High Commission
Castries, Saint Lucia
1 (758) 452-2484
High Commission of Canada
Bishop’s Court Hill, Bridgetown, Barbados
PO Box 404, Bridgetown, Barbados
Emergency Operations Centre: 1 (613) 996-8885
TTY: 1 (613) 944-1310